Shares for our kid's future

Jasmine
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 am
Flag: Sri Lanka

Shares for our kid's future

Postby Jasmine » Sat May 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Dear All,

Let me start an interesting topic on behalf of all the parents in LEF :). As a parents we search for all best possible way of making money for our children's future. I would like to invest some money on shares beside my usual CSE activity with the view the return from that investment will be utilized for my daughter's education expenses ( school admission, accommodation, etc..).

I will not touch on that investment for next 10 years.

Could you please recommend some best shares for this cause? I know it will be a tough job.

I hope that experts ( SHARK, RPPA, Stocks Hunter, Contra,sashimaal...) in LEF can shed some light on this for the benifit of all the parents in LEF.

User avatar
SHARK
Savant
Savant
Posts: 15569
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi
Flag: Sri Lanka
Contact:

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby SHARK » Sat May 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Jas
A timely post .......
I will make a sticky post so that by time this thread would not bury and we miss later on from our future discussions :)
Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.”

Jasmine
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 am
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby Jasmine » Sat May 23, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks Shark :)

User avatar
SHARK
Savant
Savant
Posts: 15569
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi
Flag: Sri Lanka
Contact:

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby SHARK » Sat May 23, 2015 4:05 pm

How about looking at some of the growth stocks ..... Mid Cap stocks ..... Future Sectors where we aim our developments ......

Infrastructure developments ....... KAPI
Consumables ......... NEST
Energy Sector .. will go through tremendous changes as we would consume power and the country is targeting Energy Sufficiency .... LIOC LGL
Power Sectors PAP VPEL

Although i would not recommend an investment to be kept locked in for 10 years as its a long time, and lots of uncertainties political non political events, a prudent approach would be to review on a yearly basis and re position your portfolio, and this would maximise your returns and beat above market returns ....

Since Stocks run on a cyclical nature it would be advisable to position self accordingly ....

in order to detect exits Jas, it would be best to evaluate valuations based in annualized returns and technical charts.

Just my thoughts .... i may not be correct btw :)
Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.”

User avatar
SHARK
Savant
Savant
Posts: 15569
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi
Flag: Sri Lanka
Contact:

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby SHARK » Sat May 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Also ... we will have to re-engineer our mind sets accordingly from a trader to a investor :D
Thats the most difficult part ......
Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.”

Jasmine
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 am
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby Jasmine » Sat May 23, 2015 4:13 pm

I totally agree with you :D

SHARK wrote:Also ... we will have to re-engineer our mind sets accordingly from a trader to a investor :D
Thats the most difficult part ......

stocks hunter
Co - Admin
Co - Admin
Posts: 3467
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:03 pm
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby stocks hunter » Sat May 23, 2015 5:47 pm

I would rather select stocks from the following list. Since this is going to be a 10 year plan better to invest in small amounts where you can do it with a lessor capital. Best way is building up of a portfolio of 10 stocks or 20 stocks. You can do it in monthly basis according to your monthly salary. Just buy 1000 or 500 shares,that's fine for a month.

ACME
ALUM
ABL
ATL
AAF
AINS
ACAP
ASIY
AMSL
ASIR
BRR
MASK
BOPL
BIL
CALF
REEF
CITH
CHOU
CLND
CLC
DPL
EXPO
ECL
GHLL
SERV
MGT
CITH
JINS
KHL
KHC
LOFC
MPL
MHDL
MBSL
NHL
OSEA
PLC
GLAS
RICH
RAL
SIRA
CSD
SFL - N
SCAP
SHL
SFS
TAP
RHTL
UBC
VONE
WATA

Yes the list is a long one. It's you all to select the best out of it. I will tell one thing here. From the list we have to select Rs100 or above companies by 10 year time, Rs75 - Rs100 companies, Rs50 - Rs75 companies, Rs25 - Rs50 companies.

This reminds me the following list as well.

ABAN - was Rs8.50 - Now trading Rs125
ACL - was Rs8.0 - Now Rs88
APLA - was Rs9.0 - Now Rs125
AHUN - was Rs5.0 - Now Rs81.50
SPEN - was Rs8.0 - Now Rs100
ALUF - was Rs3.50 - Now44.30
CONN - was Rs4.0 - Now Rs78.90
BFL - was Rs5.0 - Now Rs125
BRWN - was Rs7.0 - Now Rs115.70
COLO - was Rs4.0 - Now Rs150
CWM – was Rs1.75 – Now Rs59.40
CARG –was Rs20 – Now Rs140
CABO – was Rs8.0 – Now Rs125.40
BREW –was Rs16.25 – Now Rs950
CCS – was Rs17.75 – Now Rs362
GRAN - was Rs6.25 – Now Rs49
DIST – was Rs3.50 – Now Rs289
LMF was Rs2.75 – Now Rs165
SEYB –X – was Rs4.90 – Now Rs78

No point of mentioning shares like this. This is called share investments for the future. Still there are lots of shares in CSE with a great history like this and for many stocks the lowest traded price is not even 10 years back. :o

:-ss

Master Blaster
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:14 am
Flag: Qatar

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby Master Blaster » Sat May 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Dear Jasmine,

Really this is timely POST.... & this is very good idea for future ( 5 / 10 Years investment )... :ymapplause:

2 month before I already started this for my New Born son O:-) & monthly am investing a particulate amount in a separate sub account. So stocks & amounts will not mixed with our trading shares... What ever the Dividend we are taking from this stocks, we need to Reinvest in Same account.

Initially i Bought Colo @ 120.00 Now 155.00 & REG 105.00 Now 135.00... :)

@ Stocks Hunters,

Your Idea is Really Awesome. :ymapplause: From now on am going to follow that Low range Stock to PICK... Highly appreciated your suggestion Brother !!! :ymhug:

MB

Edmond
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: The Earth
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby Edmond » Mon May 25, 2015 6:48 am

Thanks Jasmine for opening great thread for all dad's... :)

I also had a same thought & then open & maintain share account for my daughter. Still rotating & try to find a best share investment for her future.
I just thought & collecting small amount of FLCH, VONE, UBC for the moment. Just thought these companies are growing & will play major role in future. Hope to add another 7 stocks.

Further few years ago I start AIA investment/pension policy for me & my wife's name. According to the policy I'm paying monthly installment & they are investing those money in CSE 10 blue chips companies. That mean when those blue chips prices are apriciating our investment value also going up (Risk also there when things go other way). If I need I can withdraw that money after 3 years (already passed) time.

Any other views.....

User avatar
SHARK
Savant
Savant
Posts: 15569
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:03 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi
Flag: Sri Lanka
Contact:

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby SHARK » Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am

How about AINS a growing insurance company.
How about RICH SHL & VONE can we accept them to be next HHL or a JKH
Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.”

Jasmine
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 am
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby Jasmine » Mon May 25, 2015 9:44 am

I have been collecting stocks under 50/- by little by little ( monthly allocation 5000/- ) since February .
AAF
RWSL
NHL
PAP
RAL
ABL
EXPO
RICH
ACME
GHLL
KHL
MBSL
MGT
WATA
JINS
PLC
UBC
TJL
LGL
GRAN

Experts, any comments about these stocks in next 5 years time? :)

Cheers,
Jas




Master Blaster wrote:Dear Jasmine,

Really this is timely POST.... & this is very good idea for future ( 5 / 10 Years investment )... :ymapplause:

2 month before I already started this for my New Born son O:-) & monthly am investing a particulate amount in a separate sub account. So stocks & amounts will not mixed with our trading shares... What ever the Dividend we are taking from this stocks, we need to Reinvest in Same account.

Initially i Bought Colo @ 120.00 Now 155.00 & REG 105.00 Now 135.00... :)

@ Stocks Hunters,

Your Idea is Really Awesome. :ymapplause: From now on am going to follow that Low range Stock to PICK... Highly appreciated your suggestion Brother !!! :ymhug:

MB

Edmond
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:50 pm
Location: The Earth
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby Edmond » Mon May 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Jasmine wrote:I have been collecting stocks under 50/- by little by little ( monthly allocation 5000/- ) since February .
AAF
RWSL
NHL
PAP
RAL
ABL
EXPO
RICH
ACME
GHLL
KHL
MBSL
MGT
WATA
JINS
PLC
UBC
TJL
LGL
GRAN

Experts, any comments about these stocks in next 5 years time? :)

Cheers,
Jas




Master Blaster wrote:Dear Jasmine,

Really this is timely POST.... & this is very good idea for future ( 5 / 10 Years investment )... :ymapplause:

2 month before I already started this for my New Born son O:-) & monthly am investing a particulate amount in a separate sub account. So stocks & amounts will not mixed with our trading shares... What ever the Dividend we are taking from this stocks, we need to Reinvest in Same account.

Initially i Bought Colo @ 120.00 Now 155.00 & REG 105.00 Now 135.00... :)

@ Stocks Hunters,

Your Idea is Really Awesome. :ymapplause: From now on am going to follow that Low range Stock to PICK... Highly appreciated your suggestion Brother !!! :ymhug:

MB


Not an expert. Just add my thoughts.

I think better add more qty for selected financials companies (AAF,ABL,MBSL,,UBC etc)& holdings (for RICH,EXPO etc).

Cheers....

User avatar
siga
Member
Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:39 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby siga » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Thank you Jas & all.... :ymhug:
Now on, I will follow the same & will keep eye :-B on construction sector & collect them
Experts, any comments ? :?: :?:

User avatar
topcat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:50 pm
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby topcat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:14 pm

This is an excellent topic. shall we continue this topic?..Actually I have a 3 yr old son. I am thinking to maintain a portfolio for his future and i hope to invest it in monthly basis. I want to select maximum of 5 companies for this.. I like to grab fundamentally strong and good DY companies and also like to add a growing stock.
At the moment I am thinking of LWL and Samp... Please give your opinion.. I like to see more of our members join in this discussion..
thanks.
"Keep winners, Sell loosers"

User avatar
sashimaal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3390
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:17 am
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby sashimaal » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:40 pm

LwL is good and Samp is too.

How about considering LFIN instead of Samp . DY is very good.


topcat wrote:This is an excellent topic. shall we continue this topic?..Actually I have a 3 yr old son. I am thinking to maintain a portfolio for his future and i hope to invest it in monthly basis. I want to select maximum of 5 companies for this.. I like to grab fundamentally strong and good DY companies and also like to add a growing stock.
At the moment I am thinking of LWL and Samp... Please give your opinion.. I like to see more of our members join in this discussion..
thanks.
"Knowledge is being aware of what you can do. Wisdom is knowing when not to do it" - Brian Tracy

User avatar
topcat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:50 pm
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby topcat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:50 pm

thank you sash for the suggestion. how about poultry stock? are they good for long term or too much risk (for about 15 yrs time)
"Keep winners, Sell loosers"

User avatar
sashimaal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3390
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:17 am
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby sashimaal » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:12 pm

Are you looking for buy and forget shares?

topcat wrote:thank you sash for the suggestion. how about poultry stock? are they good for long term or too much risk (for about 15 yrs time)
"Knowledge is being aware of what you can do. Wisdom is knowing when not to do it" - Brian Tracy

User avatar
topcat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:50 pm
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby topcat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:24 pm

sashimaal wrote:Are you looking for buy and forget shares?

topcat wrote:thank you sash for the suggestion. how about poultry stock? are they good for long term or too much risk (for about 15 yrs time)


Yes sash. That's the idea. But im not sure i can do it.. :D
"Keep winners, Sell loosers"

PAT
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6823
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:40 pm
Flag: Australia

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby PAT » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:58 pm

TC, you may consider;
LGL
ALUM

also as Sashi suggested LFIN.......

Those are value shares and are good divided payers too

Since your plan is long term I tend to decide against poultry shares
Live Today........
Without compromising your ability to Live Tomorrow……… :)

User avatar
topcat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:50 pm
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby topcat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Thank you pat.. :ymhug:
"Keep winners, Sell loosers"

User avatar
sashimaal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3390
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:17 am
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby sashimaal » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Since you are involved in the CSE you may not need "buy and forget for 15 years" type shares.

But if that is the criteria, i cannot think of any share better than Nestle. It will surely be there in 15 years time and it will also do well within that time. No wonder it is selling at a super premium (*)



topcat wrote:
sashimaal wrote:Are you looking for buy and forget shares?

topcat wrote:thank you sash for the suggestion. how about poultry stock? are they good for long term or too much risk (for about 15 yrs time)


Yes sash. That's the idea. But im not sure i can do it.. :D
"Knowledge is being aware of what you can do. Wisdom is knowing when not to do it" - Brian Tracy

User avatar
topcat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:50 pm
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby topcat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Actually sash i want to collect my selected shares monthly basis. (lets say 10000rs per month) I don't want to sell them and only collect. But if a good opertunity arises I,ll definitely act acordingly.
Nest is a great share. Good devidend and reliable. But its pretty costly and what will happen if it go for a correction?
"Keep winners, Sell loosers"

User avatar
sashimaal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3390
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:17 am
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby sashimaal » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:52 pm

NEST didn't correct in one of the biggest market crashes we have seen todate (referring to the recent market drop from 7500-5800) . Also this was shortly after Maggi India fiasco - for which it adjusted 10% downwards..

So basically it has withstood a Tsunami. So forget about a correction. Unless results drop consistently that will not happen.

Companies having strong Brands will be the ones that would withstand the test of time.

In the long run, the Banking sector also will do well regardless of the situation.




topcat wrote:Actually sash i want to collect my selected shares monthly basis. (lets say 10000rs per month) I don't want to sell them and only collect. But if a good opertunity arises I,ll definitely act acordingly.
Nest is a great share. Good devidend and reliable. But its pretty costly and what will happen if it go for a correction?
"Knowledge is being aware of what you can do. Wisdom is knowing when not to do it" - Brian Tracy

User avatar
topcat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2782
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:50 pm
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby topcat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Thank you sash. I didn't think about nest and you give a good explanation on strong brand name nestle. My way of thinking always go for fundamentaly strong under valued shares..But as you said it was really strong on that blood bath. Osea also survived strongly on that period and now performing well.
"Keep winners, Sell loosers"

User avatar
sashimaal
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3390
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:17 am
Flag: Sri Lanka

Re: Shares for our kid's future

Postby sashimaal » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:20 pm

Here is a link i shared some time back on Nestle India. That sells at a higher PER premium.

Have a look:
http://www.caporbit.com/nestle-india-a- ... urn-study/


topcat wrote:Thank you sash. I didn't think about nest and you give a good explanation on strong brand name nestle. My way of thinking always go for fundamentaly strong under valued shares..But as you said it was really strong on that blood bath. Osea also survived strongly on that period and now performing well.
"Knowledge is being aware of what you can do. Wisdom is knowing when not to do it" - Brian Tracy


Return to “Stock Market Talkz”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest